Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tour: Can't Always Get What You Want by Chelsey Krause


Fans of Ruthie Knox, Rachel Gibson, and Molly O’Keefe will love this deeply romantic and uplifting debut novel about losing everything you thought you wanted—and getting exactly what you need.

Sophie Richards has been looking forward to a much-needed girls’ night out: a Rolling Stones tribute-band concert, a few drinks, a distraction from her grueling nursing shifts in acute care. But when her best friend bails, Sophie gets stuck with a blind date.

Although Brett Nicholson may be the hottest carpenter alive, and Sophie may technically be single, she isn’t exactly on the market. Six years ago she found The One. He was everything Sophie dreamed a man could be—and then she lost him. In an instant, her whole life changed, and she forgot all about happily ever after.

But as she gets to know Brett, Sophie starts to wonder about the future for the first time. With a broken heart still clouding her mind, jumping into a new relationship feels impossible. When she’s in his arms, walking away feels even harder. Now Sophie faces an impossible choice: living in the past or choosing love in the here and now.

Can’t Always Get What You Want
By: Chelsey Krause
Loveswept
Releasing January 13th, 2015





“I don’t want to meet anyone new,” I say.
Samira’s smile droops.
“I know,” she says quietly. “But you’re going to have to get back out there sometime. It’s been five years.”
She needn’t have reminded me.
I remember every day.
“I have tried dating. I put myself out there, and what do I find? Guys like Joel.”
“Sorry, didn’t mean to pressure you. Just looking at options.”
She smiles, but I can tell she’s disappointed. I tip my head back and look skyward.
“Fine,” I relent. “If you vouch for Brett, then I’m sure he’s a good guy.”
Samira’s smile couldn’t be any brighter. Damn perfect teeth. If I didn’t love my best friend so much, I’d resent her for being so beautiful.
“So that’s a yes? You’ll ask him to go to the concert?”
“Yes.”
“I think you’ll really like him.”
“Do you have any pictures of him? I mean, since he and Narayan are business partners and all?”
“Hmm . . .” she says, flipping through her iPhone. “Nope, can’t find any.”
“Well, what about Facebook? Maybe he’ll have some pictures on there.”
We manage to find a Facebook page for Narett Construction, but the only photos are either company logos or a large group shot from which Brett is conveniently missing.
“Are you sure Brett even exists?”
“No, no, he’s real,” Samira says.
She scrolls through her phone’s contact list.
“Here’s his number. Why don’t you give him a call, and see if he’s interested?”
I smirk. “In me or the concert?”
“Both?”
“Okay, give me his number.”
Samira and I jump onto the couch and sit with our legs tucked under us. Clutching pillows to our chests, she watches as I hesitantly dial his cell number. I feel like we’re prank-calling someone.
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited. It’s not every day that you ask someone you haven’t met before on a date.
He picks up on the third ring.
“Hello?” a deep masculine voice says.
“Erm, hello. Is this Brett? Brett Nicholson?”
“Yes. Who is this?”
“My name is Sophie. I’m friends with Samira and Narayan.”
He pauses for a moment.
“Sure, I think I’ve heard Samira mention you.”
“Yeah, we’ve been best friends for forever.”
Awkward pause.
“Anyway, this might sound weird since you don’t know me, but are you free tomorrow night?”
I hear a surprised chuckle.
“Okay . . .” he says.
“I have an extra ticket to see the Jagger Bombs. They’re a Rolling Stones tribute band playing at Hawrelak Park. Sam was supposed to go with me, but she’s ditching me for Narayan.” I laugh, shooting Sam a mock dirty look.
She’s clutching a pillow to her chest and looking at me with a face-splitting grin. You’d think we were still thirteen, talking to our first boy on the phone.
“The Jagger Bombs?” he asks, sounding amused.
“Yes. The Jagger Bombs. Their music is fantastic, and Sam suggested I take you. She said you’re a Rolling Stones fan?”
“Who isn’t?” he replies.
“Exactly!” I laugh. “So, the concert is tomorrow night at seven. Would you like to go with me?”
“Umm, sure. Sophie, right?”
I laugh. This is so weird.
“You got it.”
We agree on a meeting place and describe what we look like. I tell him that I’m about five-two, have light blond hair, and will be wearing a mint green dress. He describes himself as being tall, with dark, sandy blond hair, and will wear a white shirt and ball cap. And that’s that. I have officially arranged my own blind date.
I turn off my phone, and notice Samira gaping at me.
“I can’t believe he actually agreed to it,” she says.
“What do you mean?”
“Brett hates meeting new people, almost as much as you do. It’s so out of character for him. He must’ve liked the way you sounded over the phone,” she says.
“Yeah, because I have such a sexy voice,” I say, making my voice husky.
“I think you’ll like him, Sophie,” Samira says, while turning Mad Men back on.
Ha. Fat chance.





I was born and raised in Canada, and live with my husband and two children. I’ve been a nurse since 2009. An essay I wrote on intercultural nursing has been published in a nursing anthology.
I love thrift shops, repurposing old junk and learning new belly dance moves. I can’t decide if my favorite movie is either “Bridget Jones’ Diary” or “Fight Club.”
I’ve always wanted to be a writer and in the spring of 2013, I finally sat down and wrote my first book. Now that that’s done, I’m working on my second.
I believe that the best way to become a great writer is to read.



A lot.
And then read some more.
I absolutely love books and would live at the library if they’d let me.







Hosted by












No comments:

Post a Comment